on Facebook

Visa Holders and Permanent Residents

Students who possess certain visa types or have a permanent residency card and wish to be considered for in-state tuition status must submit a completed Petition for Change in Residency Status along with copies of their visa documents (e.g. front and back of permanent residency card, Asylee, or TPS documentation). Visa types that are eligible for in-state consideration are approved by the Maryland Attorney General’s Office. If a student is financially dependent upon a spouse or legal guardian, they will need to also submit documentation for that person in if requested by Residency Reclassification Services.

In addition to meeting all the criteria established by the Board of Regents for a period of at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day for registration for the semester for which in-state status is sought, students must also possess the eligible visa categories for 12 months prior to the start of the semester they are petitioning for in-state status. If the permanent residency card or eligible visa type has not been held for 12 consecutive months prior to the semester for which the student is petitioning for, the student may submit a copy of the I-485 or the I-797.

Most non-citizens of the United States are ineligible for in-state residency status. Students who hold the F-1/J-1 visa are not eligible to be classified for in-state tuition status based on the Board of Regents Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes. Financial dependents of F-1/J-1 visa holders, are also not eligible to be classified for the in-state residency status. For additional information please review the Board of Regents/USM policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes.

If you have questions regarding your in-state eligibility, please contact Residency Reclassification Services at resclass@umd.edu.